Home: Fire watch 2009 part 2

Wow, it’s been a week! Last week got hectic and stayed that way. Monday about 30 minutes after I posted my last post we got asked to evacuate our house. So we loaded everything up again and headed back down the hill. Apparently there were going to start controlled burns against the hills above our house and they wanted everyone to be safe.

We went back over to Pasadena to figure out what to do. My guy had had enough with the smoky air so we decided to drive up to Ventura to stay in a hotel for the night. It was a nice little break from all the hecticness of smoke and fire and ash. Really, if your house is gonna burn there isn’t much you can do to stop it except trust that the fire fighters know how to do their job and are going to do everything they can to help you. Tuesday when we headed back towards home to see what was up we could see that the hills and mountains behind our house were still on fire. Very much on fire, from Foothill Blvd we could see huge flames burning all the brush along the mountains. Our street was still closed and we couldn’t even walk up to see if everything was ok. We just trusted that it was and headed back over to Pasadena to stay at our friends house. This was the fourth night to be away.

In the middle of all this I had a class Tuesday night at the Pasadena City College and my guy had to be in conference calls for work. Super stressful but what are you going to do, just take it one task at a time. Wednesday about noon they lifted the evacuation on our street so we headed home. Thankfully everything was fine! Covered in ash and soot but everything was safe.

The week was filled with so many odd moments. Looking down and trying to figure out what the dark spots on the ground are- burnt whole leaves from the trees above. Texting a friends guy to help make sure her dog two doors down was safe through the whole thing, buying trashy magazines to keep me busy. Realizing for some reason I had packed up every pencil sharpener in the house in the car for safe keeping. Meeting a friend for beer on tuesday night when we still couldn’t get back to the house. Sitting in my yard while my guy repaired giant sub woofers and looking up to see the fire coming over the hill.

We hit the ground running when we got back to the house on Wednesday to line up all the final details for a big gig our company was working on Saturday and got everything else lined up for all our rentals last weekend. Things don’t really stop elsewhere in the city just because a giant wildfire is threatening to take over the forest, right? 🙂 I had also agreed to roast a whole pig for labor day weekend and I figured i could still do it. Saturday i picked up the pig, we marinated it and roasted it yesterday.
Pictures are here pig roast 2009 if you want to check out our pig roast It was super fun and everyone loved how it turned out!

Friday I got over to work on the great bill board project and tried to catch up to my life. Putting things away that were packed up for safety, finished projects and getting back on track. I hope to get the new prints up on etsy today so stay tuned!

This entry was posted in Home: Nesting in the Woods....